AMATS had their first planning meeting for 2016 to award funds for transportation projects in its area. AMATS is Akron Metropolitan Area Transit Study and is the metropolitan area organization that plans the transportation projects in our area that receive federal funds.
They approved a total of 22 projects at their recent meeting. Projects that include the reconstruction of Howe Avenue in Cuyahoga Falls, Phase 1 of the resurfacing of West Steels Corners Road in Cuyahoga Falls and 5 Transportation Alternative Projects:
- The Brady’s Leap segment of the Portage Hike and Bike Trail in Kent, a pathway along west bank of Cuy. River, stairway;
- SR 18 Walkway Phase 1, an 8′ side walk from Holiday Inn Dr. to Cleveland Massillon Road;
- The Magic Mile in Barberton, bike path from Wooster Rd to 4th and 2nd St;
- New sidewalk on Brittain Road from Tallmadge Avenue to Independence Avenue;
- Freedom Trail/Portage Trail Connector, Middlebury Rd between existing trails a 10′ asphalt trail – with under & over passes.