Say you were out and about today on your bicycle enjoying your favorite route, suddenly you are caught in the rain. You may have thought you could beat the cloud and did not pack your rain jacket. Maybe you have not had a chance to head over to R-D Bike Shop to get Endura Sports’ Xtract Jacket-a lightweight, breathable, and waterproof jacket.
If you immediately head over to get your rain jacket there is a chance you may end up with a moldy mess of forgotten, wet, cycling clothing. If you follow these simple rules you can ensure a long life for you clothing:
- After use, do not leave the garment rolled up in a wet state, as this will encourage bacteria and mold, membrane delamination and/or color migration.
- Follow the washing instructions on the garment label. All garments that can be machine washed are tested to 104/80 degrees Fahrenheit (a warm water wash setting). Always wash dark colors separately.
- Do not use fabric conditioner as this will damage the adhesion of seam tapes on waterproof fabrics and can also damage DWR (Durable Water Repellency) coatings.
- Do not tumble dry. Instead, drip dry naturally but avoid drying in direct strong sunlight.
- Do not dry clean.
- To reactivate the DWR (Durable Water Repellency) on waterproof garments, use a cool iron setting, if that is permitted on the care label. Garments can also be reproofed using waterproofing agents such as Nikwax or Granger’s. Always follow the application instructions. The garment should be clean and dry before starting this process. Be sure to avoid areas that are not made of fabric (eg. buttons and zippers) and stand well back to avoid inhaling chemicals. Also be aware that these products may be flammable.